The first time the wife put this together it was right after I got home. I got the easy job of entertaining our child while she made dinner. As I was upstairs I could the smells of the Mexican casserole started to fill the house. It was splendid. The bad part was I still had to wait about twenty minutes to dig into the thing.
As I rolled downstairs, dinner was getting put onto the plates and it looked as good as it smelled. Since the casserole is pretty healthy I went ahead and signed up for two helpings right off the bat. We topped the casserole with some low fat sour cream, chopped tomatoes, and some fresh avocado. To accompany the meal, the wife bought a bag of the Dole salad kits that just showed up in the stores. This one was the Chopped Chipotle and Cheddar salad kit (check them out here). The salad was actually pretty good…event the kale. It fit in well with the casserole and wasn’t a whole lot of extra calories either.
So, once again, another great meal. If you are a fan of mexican, easy meals, and/or both…then this is worth a try. The filling reminded me of tamales. It had a nice spice to it as well as a little bit of a smoky flavor. We added some frozen corn into ours…but hey, go crazy with yours!
- 1 pound of ground beef (we used ground turkey instead)
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- 8 to 10 green onions, chopped
- 5 flour tortillas (we used whole wheat tortillas but you use what you like)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown your ground beef until cooked and crumbly. Stir in your taco seasoning, soup, 1 cup of cheese and most of your green onions. Reduce heat to low and simmer a minute or two.
- Meanwhile, spray an 8×8 inch baking dish with Pam. Layer half of your ground beef mixture across the bottom of the dish, spread out tortillas over the top and repeat with another layer of beef. Top with one last row of tortillas. Top casserole with your remaining one cup of cheese.
- Cover casserole with foil and cook 25 minutes. Remove foil and cook another 5 to 10 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and serve with a few extra pieces of green onion.