When the wife texted me midday and said that we were having soup consisting of chicken, shiitake mushrooms, and rice…I was excited? I mean, I like all of those things, but I wasn’t exactly over the moon with the idea. On top of that, I am super picky about my soups (shut up). Luckily the wife barely makes a bad meal and it’s another recipe from Skinnytaste.com which we’ve had a ton of luck with before.
This was one of those nights when the wife hovered over the dutch oven while I got to entertain the little guy. Smells filled the air, and it wasn’t half bad. I would walk over to the pot every now and again and things looked promising. However, I was holding off for the final product…me of little faith.
I can say that I helped make the soup by adding in two tablespoons of sour cream. So, I can definitely say that this was easy to make. In all seriousness though, the wife couldn’t stop saying how easy this was. Outside of making sure to stir it periodically it did seem to come together with little fuss. This while she was making another soup for her lunches and brownies for her classroom (she’s kind of super wife as you can see).
So how was it? Based on how fast she posted this to Facebook and how much we both raved about it, it was damn good. It thickened up for my liking and had lots of bulk to it. It really was great. For a low calorie soup, it was also super filling. That being said I also ate about four corn biscuits, but that’s another story. I like a bit of spice to my meals, so I put in a little sriracha to the mix. I figured it would go well with chicken, mushrooms, and the rice. Based on my addition of spice, the wife also joined in. We both devoured our bowls and are ready to eat it again tonight.
We’ve been on a pretty steady kick of good food…this is just one of them. Hopefully, I’ll bring myself to get in gear and post the rest.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion
- 1 tbsp flour
- 6 cups less-sodium chicken broth (Swanson)
- 3 cups water
- 2/3 cup chopped carrots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 celery stalks
- 14 oz boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4.5 oz long grain rice & wild rice combo (I used Carolina)
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp light sour cream
- salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large pot on medium heat, add onion and saute until soft nut not browned, about 3-4 minutes. Add flour and saute another minute.
- Add chicken broth, water, carrots, garlic, celery, brown rice and chicken thighs, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add wild rice mix along with it’s seasoning packet, long grain rice and mushrooms and simmer on low, covered 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove chicken from pot and shred with two forks, return to pot, add sour cream and more water if too thick, adjust salt and pepper to taste if needed and serve.