Without having a plan for dinner tonight, the wife hit up one of her go to blogs for some ideas. Luckily Skinnytaste.com always has something right on the front page we may want to try. Tonight it was Skillet Sazon Chicken Tenders. I couldn’t begin to tell you what “sazon” is, but I suppose it stands for deliciously spicy.
As per usual, dinner came together pretty seamlessly. The smell of spices filled the kitchen as the chicken and ingredients sautéed in the pan. It wasn’t long after that we started cooking dinner that it ended up hitting the table.
To add a bit more to the meal, the wife threw together a quick side that included zucchini, corn, and some avocado. She sautéed the zucchini in a little olive oil before throwing the corn in. Once that was nicely and browned, we threw a little of the chicken mixture on top and then added the avocado. One thing we learned from grilling avocado is that heating it up makes it pretty damn tasty. Adding it into the side here was a nice touch.
Once everything was plated up, it was time to eat (oh…we totally use rice in a bag. It’s quick, easy, and just the right size for two). I went ahead and loaded up on chicken and veggies. The flavor of everything was pretty good. The chicken had a little smoky spice to it, but in no way overpowering. If you don’t like spicy foods, you could definitely hang with this dish. The veggie side the wife concocted was a great addition to the meal. I could even see the extra chicken (well…if there was any), making there way into some tacos. Overall, a nice, last minute meal that we will definitely make again.
- 8 (1.25 lb) chicken tenders
- 1 1/2 tsp dry sazon seasoning (use my homemade sazon)
- kosher salt, to taste
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup diced scallions
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- Season chicken with dry sazon seasoning and salt. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat and add chicken, cook 4 minutes, turn and cook 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown. Set aside on a dish.
- Add remaining teaspoon of oil and scallions and cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add tomato, season with salt and cook 3 to 4 minutes until soft and thickened.
- Add the broth, mix and return the chicken; cover and simmer 1 to 2 minutes to loosen the sauce.